Pages


Thursday, April 2, 2020

TikTok and Its Popularity


Vine is Dead—RIP to the Platform That Made 6 Seconds Feel Like ...

I don't think there is any way that anyone, no matter the generation, has not at least heard or seen the logo for the new app called TikTok.

Social Media in today's day and age spreads like wildfire, even if the app sucks. Sometimes all anyone needs is something stupid and mindless to waste time with, even if the prosperity of the app is short. But have you ever come across an app and just thought, "why? just why?" I know I have, and I am sure so many others have too. There are many of times why I wonder certain trends catch on, for example, the reemergence of bell bottoms.. not sure why those came back, and I find myself wondering that about many social media apps.

I am not saying TikTok is one of those that I hate, or dread the existence of, at least anymore, because I hate to admit that I use it daily and for too long. However, there was a time when I was a TikTok hater. I despised that it was the new trend, I thought the premise was stupid and copying Vine, and I thought the hype around it was not deserved. I do still think all of these things, however, I have downloaded the app and do find myself laughing at a majority of the videos.

For those that do not know, TikTok is an app you can go on and make short 15 to 60 second videos. Content ranges from cooking, comedy, art, music, and the most popular being dances. Not to be confused with YouTube, a far superior platform, that you can watch and upload endless videos on and generate revenue from. A more wholesome platform, in my opinion.

If you have ever heard of the app Vine, which is described as, "an application that enables users to record and share an unlimited amount of short, looping video clips with a maximum length of six seconds," by Searchcio, you would understand what TikTok is.. because it is the exact same thing.

Vine was all the rage back when it reigned in 2013 until its doom in 2016 when Twitter, the owner, announced a shut down of the app. People in my generation and the generation above loved to not only view, but create, content on the app. I never had Vine, again because I thought it was dumb, but all my friends did and I had watched some during its lifetime. When Twitter killed Vine, I can not tell you how many millions of people were upset. And I understand- many people were making their livelihoods on that app and had some true talent. But, you would have thought that the ending of Vine was the beginning of a World War there was so much outrage. When Vine finally did kick the can, people were devastated. It was not until TikTok was created that very same year, that caused people to find joy again. Sad.

I always wondered why apps like Vine and now TikTok just absolutely blow up out of nowhere, when seemingly there is nothing more to it than media sharing. Then, I learned there was a whole theory behind this exact fad: Diffusion of Innovations, coined by Everette Rogers. This theory basically tries to figure out why, how, and what rate new ideas and innovations spread, socially. There are four main criteria that I have gathered that help with this theory: the innovation itself, communication channels, time, and social system, according to Rogers and Wikipedia.

Now, with TikTok, I understand why something like this blew up so fast. Picture this: it is early 2016 and Vine is now dead. The world is in shambles. Angsty preteens everywhere are at a loss for time killing, and need something to fill the void. Then, with seemingly perfect timing, as always, here comes China with the creation of TikTok! Hope, happiness, and faith were all restored in the now older angsty preteens of that era, and the world has achieved equilibrium once more.
Short success, at first, yes, then absolute madness ensued from 2018 until present day. TikTok blew up like the world was ending. Upon researching Roger's theory, it all makes sense now. TikTok was resurrecting the dead. Talk about time... no time was wasted in the siege of this app. China knew Vine died and scrambled to get Vine's doppleganger out as soon as they could. They preyed on the young in their time of weakness and grieving, and had massive success. Time, well it could not have been more perfect. It did not need time to even circulate because kids were used to its better twin sister Vine, they were already accustomed. As for social system, well they knew how to target their audience. The same kids that loved and missed Vine... these were the ones who devoured TikTok. The innovation itself was so far from original, in fact, it was basically copy righted, but that is exactly what made it blow up. The people wanted a replacement, and that is what they got. It was almost too easy of a success, but still followed every principle of the theory to a tee.

Using TikTok Advertising To Promote Your Business - Fang MarketingIn the end, Roger's was right. You just need a semi-decent idea, an audience who is willing, and the social platform needed to create something amazing.




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TikTok
https://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/Vine-Vine-app

No comments:

Post a Comment